Startup sounds so sexy and it’s booming around the world. From San Francisco to Amsterdam, Stockholm, Berlin and now it’s reach to Asia like India, Pakistan, Nepal, China, Japan, Thailand, Lao, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and more. However, it’s an early stage of Cambodia for Startup Communities and Startup Ecosystem in Phnom Penh. We are along the way to grow and there are lots of young innovators are taking down their creative solution into the real startup project. Some are launching, some fail and some get success but do not scale much. You can find a few startups that scale and bootstrapped in Phnom Penh since last 4 or 5 years.
- Royal University of Phnom Penh & ITC is already take ground and produce lots of good developers and innovators. The big issues, they don’t apply Entrepreneurship in the classes.
- Many Venture Capitalists and local angel investors and starting to seek for the right entrepreneurs with real passionate to bootstrap their idea.
- Big guys in telecom and Internet access is more easier for people to access with a low cost.
- Big mobile penetration is growing rapidly fast.
- More and more Incubators & co-working spaces are deployed around Phnom Penh.
- More pitching events, bootcamp and hackathon are happening every months. Soon we hope to have a Y-Combinator like exists in the center of Phnom Penh.
Connecting dots and bring the big change for startup scene in Cambodia. Our online consumption is very low, but why don’t we support young innovators to build startup that target the rest of South East Asia?